Devilish ChickenGet Recipe
From the American Mid-Atlantic
Devilish Chicken Print Recipe
- 3 1/2 pound whole chicken, cut up
- 6 TBLS butter, melted
- 2 TBLS Dijon mustard
- 2 TBLS cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsps. salt
- 1/4 tsps. cayenne pepper
- 4 ears corn on the cob, husked
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In medium bowl, stir together melted butter, mustard, vinegar, thyme, salt, and cayenne pepper. Brush corn and chicken thoroughly with butter mixture. Arrange chicken in one layer in a baking dish. Sprinkle chicken with breadcrumbs. Set corn in another baking dish; cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake chicken and corn for one hour; serve hot.
Per Serving (if using breasts):
Saturated Fat 17g
Chicken AgrodolceGet Recipe
From the Art Institute of Charlotte, NC
Chicken Agrodolce Print Recipe
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 TBLS olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced finely
- 1 celery stalk, diced finely
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- In large Dutch oven or ovenproof, lidded skillet, warm olive oil over medium high heat. Season pieces of chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in pan in single layer (in batches, if necessary), and cook chicken, turning, until well browned, about 10 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- To pan on stove, add onion, carrot and celery; saute until slightly softened, about 2 -3 minutes. Add garlic, rosemary and oregano; sauté one minute more. Add tomatoes and peppers; cook 3 - 4 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and boil until liquid reduces by half, about 8 minutes. Add vinegar.
- Return chicken pieces to pan, cover, and place in oven. Cook chicken until tender and cooked through, about 45 minutes.
Lemon Garlic ChickenGet Recipe
Lemon Garlic Chicken Print Recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 TBLS margarine or butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower
- Melt margarine in large nonstick skillet.
- Add chicken; cook over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes or until light brown.
- Add garlic and cook briefly.
- Add water, rice, bouillon cubes and juice from one lemon half. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower; continue cooking 5 minutes or until internal juices of chicken run clear.
- Cut remaining lemon half into slices and use for garnish.Per Serving:calories 320
calories from fat 70
total fat 8g
Chicken OscarGet Recipe
Chicken Oscar Print Recipe
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 ounces jumbo lump crab meat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium tomato, chopped
- 10 thin asparagus spears, trimmed and peeled
- 2 cups water to boil asparagus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt for boiling water
- 4 cherry tomatoes for garnish
- In medium saucepan, bring water mixed with 1/2 teaspoon salt to boil. As soon as the water comes to a boil, add asparagus and boil until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain. Set aside until needed.
- Lay chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap and pound to 1/2 inch thickness. On a medium plate mix flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; dredge chicken to coat, patting off any excess.
- In medium, non-stick fry pan over medium heat, warm 1 teaspoon butter, and oil. saute chicken breasts on both sides until browned and firm, about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken; keep warm until ready to serve. Add onion to skillet and saute until softened, about 4 minutes. Increase heat to high; add tomato and saute until most of the moisture has evaporated. Lower heat to low and add crab meat; toss gently, just until hot.
- To serve, set one chicken breast on each plate; arrange 5 asparagus spears on top of each. Spoon some of crab mixture over asparagus and drizzle with Lemon Chive Sauce. Garnish with cherry tomatoes.
Lemon Chive Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
In small saucepan over low heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter with lemon juice to make sauce. Whisk in cream cheese, milk, and chives until smooth.
Chicken & PeanutsGet RecipeServes 4From the Florida Culinary Institute, West Palm Beach, FL
Chicken & Peanuts Print Recipe
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps. cornstarch
- 1 TBLS ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup + 2 TBLS low sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 tsp. hot red pepper sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 TBLS rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsps. canola oil
- 2 cups snow peas, cut in half lengthwise
- 6 green onions, sliced thin
- 1/2 pound spaghetti noodles, cooked
- 1 TBLS sesame oil
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, shelled
In small bowl, mix together sugar, cornstarch, ginger, 1/4 cup soy sauce, hot pepper sauce, garlic, peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, and water. Whisk until well blended. Pour mixture into a large, plastic zipper bag; add chicken tenders. Close and turn bag to coat the chicken. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Remove chicken from bag, reserving marinade.
In large skillet or wok, heat canola oil. Add chicken and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Add reserved marinade and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute.
Add snow peas, cook for additional minute. Add green onions, reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
In large bowl, combine hot spaghetti noodles, remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and sesame oil. Stir to blend. Add chicken mixture and peanuts; mix well. Divide among plates; sprinkle with reserved green onions.
Chicken Spring RollsGet Recipe
Serves 8 as an appetizer
From the Art Institure of Chicago, Chicago, IL
Chicken Spring Rolls Print Recipe
- 1 package (10 oz.) fully cooked chicken breast strips
- 1/2 package (10 oz.) thin Asian rice noodles
- 1 package (6 oz.) bagged salad lettuce, with carrots
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves
- 1 bunch mint leaves
- 2 TBLS scallions, chopped
- 1 package sliced mushrooms
- 8 sheets (8 inch) round dried rice paper (available in Asian section of supermarket)
Prepare rice noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside. Working with one sheet of rice paper at a time, completely immerse a sheet of rice paper in hot water for a few seconds.
Remove from water; lay flat on work surface. On one half of rice paper, place small handful of lettuce and carrots, four slices of chicken, two or three cilantro leaves, two or three mint leaves, a pinch of scallion, four or five sliced mushrooms and a small wad of noodles. Fold bottom half of the rice paper up over the filling; roll up the sides of the paper to close roll into a pocket. Serve on 8 small plates over additional lettuce leaves, with Spicy Tomato Chili Sauce and Peanut-Hoisin Sauce (recipes follow).
Louisiana Fried ChickenGet Recipe
Louisiana Fried Chicken Print Recipe
- 2-1/2 pounds chicken parts, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Pepper Sauce: (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/4 cups no-salt or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Place chicken in large, glass bowl or dish; pour buttermilk over it. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, salt, celery salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne. Dredge chicken pieces in flour, two at a time, turning to coat all sides thoroughly. Set chicken on a rack and let sit for 30 minutes.
In medium saucepan over medium heat, warm butter. Stir in onion, red pepper, and green pepper. Stew peppers until soft, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and cayenne. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Gradually stir in chicken broth. Bring sauce to simmer; reduce heat to low and let cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add salt; remove from heat and set aside until needed.
In large, cast iron skillet add oil to fill 3/4-inch deep. Over medium-high heat, warm oil to 350°F. Use kitchen thermometer to test oil temperature. Carefully place chicken, skin-side-down in oil. Reduce heat to medium and cook chicken for 15 minutes until nicely browned. Turn chicken and cook for additional 10 minutes, until internal temperature on thermometer registers 180°F. Remove chicken and drain on paper towels. Cook remaining chicken in same manner until done. Before serving, reheat sauce and pass separately.